London Marathon 2023: Crossing the Finish Line and Reflecting on 16 Weeks of Training

 Today was the day - race day! The culmination of 16 weeks of training ended with the London Marathon today! It was an early start to get the train from Sittingbourne to Greenwich to reach the start line. The weather was particularly bad when I got there as it really started to rain quite heavily. But that didn't stop us getting to the start line and commencing the long 26.2 mile run to the finish.

As I approached the starting line, my heart was racing with anticipation. The energy of the crowd was electric, and the sound of the starting gun was deafening. I started off at a steady pace, trying not to get caught up in the excitement of the moment. I knew that I had to pace myself if I wanted to finish strong.

The first few miles went by quickly, and I was feeling good. My friend Paul Harris was standing in the middle of the road shouting my name at around mile 5, which was a great boost. The route then took me round the Cutty Sark, which had crowds that were around 10 deep in places - truly breathtaking. The atmosphere was amazing, and the support from the crowd was incredible.

Then I am led to believe came my claim to fame - in the form of being live on BBC TV as I crossed Tower Bridge! It was surreal to see myself on TV, running alongside thousands of other runners. I couldn't believe that I was actually doing this - running the London Marathon.

I had planned my energy gel intake well and found that taking one slowly every 4 miles seemed to keep the fuel going to my legs. Strangely with the weather being cool and drizzly, I did not feel I needed to take that much water on board. I did, however, start to feel the tiniest cramping in my hamstrings at around mile 16, so I dissolved an electrolyte tablet into a bottle of water, which did the trick.

Then came the toughest part - miles 21-25. I didn't hit 'the wall' at all, but it was during this part of the run when my body started to gently remind me that it was a little bit broken! I kept running though as I wanted to come away from the race knowing that I had run the full distance and not walked at all (which isn't a problem - I walked some of the way in my last marathon).

By the time I had run along the Embankment and passed the Big Ben in the Elizabeth Tower, my legs and back were now screaming at me, but with only 1 mile to go, I didn't care, I had only one goal - to cross the finish line. As I rounded past Buckingham Palace and scampered up The Mall, I momentarily thought back to the last 16 weeks of training, the hard work I have put in, and also to all of my friends and family whom had sent messages of support.

I have been very fortunate to have had many of you support me along the way (including the incredible £335 in donations to the Sittingbourne Carnival Court via the GoFundMe page). I'm not necessarily one for massive public celebration, so I crossed the line fists clenched whilst I was internally shouting to the skies! I didn't particularly aim for a certain time as I was happy to finish, however, I was very pleased when I looked at my watch and saw that I had beaten my previous personal best by 53 seconds!

As I collected my medal and then my kit bag, my legs let out a final cry of surrender, and I decided to take a little sit down at the edge of Horse Guards Parade. I was a little worried that I wouldn't get back up, but the few minutes sat down eating a flapjack sorted me out. I then headed (slowly) to Victoria station and grabbed a celebratory beer (I read that IPA is great for recovery...). Once home I was greeted by my family who had created a banner of all of my pictures from today - a lovely thought.

All in all, running the London Marathon was an incredible experience, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to have done it. It was not only a personal achievement, but also a chance to give back to my community by raising funds for the Sittingbourne Carnival Court.

The training was tough, and there were moments where I doubted myself and wondered if I could actually complete the marathon. However, I stuck with it and pushed through those tough moments. And on race day, all of that hard work paid off.

There were so many moments during the marathon that I will never forget. From seeing the Cutty Sark surrounded by cheering crowds to crossing Tower Bridge and knowing that I was being broadcasted live on TV, it was an unforgettable experience.

But what I will always remember most is the support that I received from my friends and family. Their encouragement and kind words kept me going when my body wanted to give up. And crossing the finish line and seeing them there cheering me on was an incredibly emotional moment that I will never forget.

As I reflect on the last 16 weeks of training and the marathon itself, I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment. I set out to run the London Marathon, and I did it. And not only did I finish, but I beat my personal best time as well.

I hope that my experience will inspire others to push themselves and to set big goals for themselves. Whether it's running a marathon or something else entirely, I truly believe that anything is possible with hard work, determination, and a bit of support from those around you.

So to everyone who followed along with my training blog and supported me along the way, thank you. You helped me to achieve something truly special, and I will always be grateful for that. And who knows, maybe I'll be back next year to do it all over again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Balance: Life, Hobbies, and Marathon Training

Day 82: Pushing Through the Pain - Intense Interval Training