Day 24: Pushing Limits: Reflecting on My Recovery Run and the Progress of My London Marathon Training

 Day 24 of my London Marathon 2023 training blog and it was time for a recovery run. As I laced up my trainers and headed out into the streets of Rochester, I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement and anticipation. After all, recovery runs are the unsung heroes of marathon training - they're the runs that allow your body to rest and recover, so you can tackle your next hard workout with renewed energy and vigour.


Today's recovery run was a gentle 30 minutes around the streets of Rochester, with the goal of keeping my heart rate in zone 2. Now, I have to say, I was quite surprised at how difficult it was to get my heart rate up into the required zone. I found myself having to run faster than I have done previously to hit the target, which is interesting as I considered myself a 'plodding' runner before starting this training programme.

But, as I thought about it more, I realised that this can only mean one thing - my training is starting to have an effect on my overall fitness! I am pushing my limits and my body is adapting to the increased demands.

I mean, think about it - just a few weeks ago, I was running comfortably and now, I'm having to push myself to run faster in order to hit my target heart rate. It's like my body is saying "Come on chap, you can do better than this!" and honestly, it's a pretty great feeling.

As I jogged along, taking in the sights and sounds of Rochester, I couldn't help but feel a sense of gratitude for the journey I'm on. Training for a marathon is not easy, but it's incredibly rewarding. It's teaching me discipline, patience, and resilience. And, let's be real, it's also teaching me that I'm a lot more capable than I ever thought possible.

And, as I crossed the finish line of my recovery run, I couldn't help but let out a little chuckle. Because, let's face it, if I can run for 30 minutes and still push my limits, I must be getting pretty fit. And that, my friends, is something to be proud of.

So, as I head into the next phase of my training, I'm feeling confident, motivated, and ready to tackle whatever comes my way. Bring on the next training run!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Balance: Life, Hobbies, and Marathon Training

Day 82: Pushing Through the Pain - Intense Interval Training

Balancing Training and Fun: Reflections on Day 34 of My London Marathon 2023 Journey