London Marathon 2023 Training: Overcoming Setbacks on Long Run Day

Today was long run day for me, and I have to admit that it didn't go as planned. I woke up feeling optimistic and ready to tackle the miles ahead of me, but as I set out into the countryside outside Sittingbourne, I could tell that my legs were just not feeling it.

The plan was to run for two and a half hours, but as the roads twisted and turned, my body seemed to be gently steering me back in the direction of home. My legs and back were moaning at me, and I didn't have the strength to resist. Instead, I ended up running just over two hours.


It's not the end of the world, of course. Two hours is still a good amount of time to spend on a long run, but I know that I need to do better next week as we are getting closer and closer to the big race day. I've come too far in my London Marathon 2023 training to let one bad run get me down.

One thing that I did learn from today's run is that the further I run away from home, the further I have to run back. It's a psychological trick that I've been using to motivate myself, but today it didn't work out quite as planned. That's okay, though. I know that I can push myself harder next time.

As I head into the final weeks of my training, I'm starting to feel a mixture of excitement and nervousness. The London Marathon is just around the corner, and I know that I need to be at the top of my game if I want to succeed. But with each passing day, I'm getting closer and closer to my goal.

So, even though today's long run didn't go as planned, I'm not going to let it get me down. I'll be back out on the roads next week, pushing myself harder than ever before. And who knows? Maybe next time, I'll be able to run even further away from home before my legs start to give out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Balance: Life, Hobbies, and Marathon Training

Day 82: Pushing Through the Pain - Intense Interval Training

Balancing Training and Fun: Reflections on Day 34 of My London Marathon 2023 Journey