Day 87 of London Marathon 2023 Training: Taking a Rest Day to Recover from a Cold

 Today was supposed to be a day of rest and recovery for my body after a week of intense training. However, unfortunately, it seems that my body had other plans for me. For the first time in this training program, I have been struck down with a cold. My throat feels like it is full of razor blades, and my eyes are on fire. It's possible that I will also have to miss tomorrow's planned run.

I'm not going to lie; it's frustrating to be hit with an illness during my marathon training. After weeks of putting in hard work and dedication to my training plan, it's disappointing to be sidelined by something as seemingly small as a cold. However, I know that it's important to listen to my body and take the rest I need to recover.

Rest days are essential in any training plan, and they become even more important when our bodies are fighting off an illness. Our bodies need time to heal, and taking a day or two to rest can actually help speed up the recovery process. It's important to remember that rest days aren't a sign of weakness or a setback in our training; they're a necessary part of the process.

While I'm not able to get out and run today, I am taking the time to focus on other aspects of my health. I'm drinking plenty of fluids to help flush out the virus, and I'm eating nutrient-dense foods to give my body the fuel it needs to heal. I'm also taking this opportunity to catch up on sleep, which is crucial for our immune system's function.

And, of course, there's always the classic remedy for a cold: a little bit of whisky in my tea to help me sleep. While this isn't a cure-all, it can help soothe a sore throat and make it easier to rest.

So, while I may be sidelined for a day or two, I'm not going to let this setback define my training. I'll listen to my body and take the rest I need, and when I'm feeling better, I'll be back out there, putting in the work to achieve my marathon goals. In the meantime, I'll focus on taking care of my body and allowing it to heal so that I can come back stronger than ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Balance: Life, Hobbies, and Marathon Training

Day 82: Pushing Through the Pain - Intense Interval Training

Balancing Training and Fun: Reflections on Day 34 of My London Marathon 2023 Journey