"Running in the Rain: My Longest Run Yet" - Day 84 of London Marathon 2023 Training Blog

Today is Sunday, and that means it's my long run day. I woke up to the sound of rain tapping on my window, but I knew I had to lace up and hit the road. As I set out towards Faversham, the weather was cold and wet, and the rain didn't let up for the entire 3 hours and 11 minutes that I was on the road.


For the first 2 hours and 15 minutes of my run, I focused on holding a steady heart rate in zone 2. This is an essential part of my training as it helps me build my aerobic base and endurance. It's crucial to be patient and maintain a slower pace at the beginning of a long run as it allows my body to conserve energy for the latter part of the run.

As I headed back towards Sittingbourne, I decided to pick up the pace and ran in heart rate zone 3 for 45 minutes. It felt good to push myself, and it was a great way to simulate the latter part of a marathon when I need to pick up the pace and push through the fatigue.

As I approached home, I slowed down for just over 10 minutes to cool down and stretch. Overall, I ran 18 miles, which is the furthest I've run during this training programme. It is also the furthest that I will run until race day. With just four weeks to go until the London Marathon, it's a great confidence boost, and I feel like I'm on track to achieve my goals.

Before I sign off, I want to remind everyone that they can donate to the Sittingbourne Carnival Court via my GoFundMe page. Every little bit helps, and it's a great cause that I'm proud to support. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Balance: Life, Hobbies, and Marathon Training

Day 82: Pushing Through the Pain - Intense Interval Training

Balancing Training and Fun: Reflections on Day 34 of My London Marathon 2023 Journey