Training for the London Marathon 2023: Dealing with Setbacks and Listening to Your Body

 Today was day 74 of my London Marathon 2023 training, and unfortunately, it didn't go as planned. I had a bit of a setback in that my legs really haven't recovered, and I am starting to feel that it wasn't Sunday's run that caused it. This was quite concerning for me as I don't want anything to jeopardise my preparation for the marathon.

I decided to take a step back and reflect on the last few days, trying to think about anything that I had changed. It wasn't until I realised that I had changed my work shoes this week, and then walked in them for nearly 2 hours on Tuesday! It seems that this may have caused some strain on my legs, which is why they haven't recovered properly.

This morning, I made the tough decision not to go for my run, as I felt that it would not be a good idea to try and run through the pain. I know that it is more important that I am ready to run the London Marathon on 23rd April, rather than trying to push myself too hard. Running through pain will only make it worse, and potentially cause long-term damage.

For the rest of the day, I tried to be sat down more and even wore my trainers with my suit (which got a number of questions and strange looks!). I am doing everything I can to ensure that my legs get the rest they need to recover properly. I will be judging this each day as it comes, and adjusting my training accordingly.

On a positive note, I am already starting to feel that my legs don't feel as tight this evening, which is a good sign that the rest is helping. I am hoping that with some rest and some gentle stretching, I will be back on track soon.

It's important to listen to your body and take care of yourself, especially when training for a marathon. Injuries can happen, but it's how you respond to them that matters most. I am remaining positive and hopeful that I will be able to get back to my training routine soon, and be ready for the London Marathon in April.

Thank you for reading, and I'll keep you updated on my progress in the coming days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Balance: Life, Hobbies, and Marathon Training

Day 82: Pushing Through the Pain - Intense Interval Training

Balancing Training and Fun: Reflections on Day 34 of My London Marathon 2023 Journey