Day 104 of London Marathon 2023 Training: Low-Carb Loading and Easy Runs

 Today was a nice and easy day in my London Marathon training schedule. I had a short 30-minute run planned, and I decided to take Polly along with me in the running buggy. Polly had a late night yesterday and was feeling a bit grotty today, so I thought some fresh air might do her some good. In fact she ended up asleep in the buggy for two hours!

The run was uneventful, which is always a good thing when it comes to training. I didn't push myself too hard, and I made sure to stay within my target heart rate zone. I felt good and strong, but I wasn't feeling particularly hungry, which is unusual for me. I suspect my body is already thinking ahead to next week, and the sheer volume of pasta I'll be consuming in order to do some low-level carb loading before race day.

Carb loading is a strategy used by many endurance athletes to increase the amount of glycogen stored in their muscles and liver. Glycogen is the primary fuel source for long-duration, high-intensity exercise like the London Marathon. By increasing glycogen stores through carb loading, athletes can delay the onset of fatigue and improve their endurance.

There are many different approaches to carb loading, but the most common involves gradually increasing carbohydrate intake in the days leading up to the event. This can involve eating large amounts of carbohydrate-rich foods like pasta, bread, rice, and potatoes, and reducing intake of fat and protein. Some athletes also use sports drinks and energy gels to help boost their carbohydrate intake.

Low-level carb loading is a more conservative approach that involves eating a slightly higher proportion of carbohydrates than usual in the days leading up to the race. This can be a good option for athletes who are concerned about gaining weight or who have trouble digesting large amounts of carbohydrates.

Regardless of the approach, carb loading should always be accompanied by adequate hydration and rest. It's important not to overdo it on the carbs, as this can lead to digestive issues and other problems. And of course, carb loading is just one part of a comprehensive marathon training program.

As I continue my training for the London Marathon, I'll be focusing on getting enough rest, eating a balanced diet, and gradually increasing my training volume and intensity. And of course, I'll be looking forward to those big bowls of pasta next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Balance: Life, Hobbies, and Marathon Training

Day 82: Pushing Through the Pain - Intense Interval Training

Balancing Training and Fun: Reflections on Day 34 of My London Marathon 2023 Journey